Love Lustres at Calvary

Calvary Love
'For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.' 2 Corinthians 5: 21

Because it is Easter/Resurrection weekend, I thought it timely to share a beautiful prayer that I came across recently, from the book, Valley of Vision Collection of Puritan Prayers by Arthur Bennett on the Cross of Calvary, and what Christ did and suffered (oh the agony he endured and the weight of sin and God's judgement He bore!) to purge us from our sins, to clothe us with His righteousness and give us everlasting life in Him through death on the Cross. All because of love for you and me! Oh, how He loved us with such love - an amazing love. I pray that you may be blessed by this prayer and in knowing the holiness of our God and in his abhorrence of sin - that He sacrificed His Only Begotten Son, and gave His life in love for you and me.








My Father, 
Enlarge my heart, warm my affections, open my lips,
supply words that proclaim ‘Love lustres at Calvary.’
There grace removes my burdens and heaps them on thy Son,
made a transgressor, a curse, and sin for me;

There the sword of thy justice smote the man, thy fellow;

There thy infinite attributes were magnified,

and infinite atonement was made;

There infinite punishment was due,
and infinite punishment was endured.
Christ was all anguish that I might be all joy,
cast off that I might be brought in,
trodden down as an enemy that I might be welcomed as a friend,
surrendered to hell’s worst that I might attain heaven’s best,
stripped that I might be clothed,
wounded that I might be healed,
athirst that I might drink,
tormented that I might be comforted,
made a shame that I might inherit glory,
entered darkness that I might have eternal light.
My Saviour wept that all tears might be wiped from my eyes,
groaned that I might have endless song,
endured all pain that I might have unfading health,
bore a thorny crown that I might have a glory-diadem,
bowed his head that I might uplift mine,
experienced reproach that I might receive welcome,
closed his eyes in death that I might gaze on unclouded brightness,
expired that I might for ever live.
O Father, who spared not thine only Son that thou mightest spare me,
All this transfer thy love designed and accomplished;
Help me to adore thee by lips and life.
O that my every breath might be ecstatic praise,
my every step buoyant with delight, as I see my enemies crushed,
Satan baffled, defeated, destroyed,
sin buried in the ocean of reconciling blood,
hell’s gates closed, heaven’s portal open.
Go forth, O conquering God, and show me
the cross, mighty to subdue, comfort and save.
- from 'The Valley of Vision'

Comments

  1. What a beautiful prayer, Joy. I was encouraged by it. :) Thanks for posting, and a very Happy Easter to you!

    Love,
    Schuyler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad this prayer was an encouragement to you, Schuyler - it was to me as well!

      Delete

Post a Comment

"Gracious words are like a honeycomb; sweetness to the soul and health to the body..." ~Proverbs 16:24