A Spot of Tea, and a Tag :)

via Pinterest
I always find it immensely exciting when a new writer joins the blogging community! I first discovered Emily Hayse and her lovely new blog at Herosinger, through Schuyler's review with her on My Lady Bibliophile, and already her blog looks like it will be a truly wonderful place filled with a focus on literature, faith, music, writing, film, family. . . all those good things! :).


For her blog launch, Emily's doing an exciting giveaway and a tag :). And because I am a sucker for fun tags, I thought I'd join in! Be sure to check out her lovely new blog and enter the giveaway too. . . 


1. Coffee or tea?
I like the smell of coffee, and tiramisu is a favourite dessert, but I only drink tea, hot chocolate or herbal drinks :). 
2. Rainy days or sunny days?
Ooh, I think sunny days, because sunshine and blue sky makes my heart so happy! Though if it is a nice kind of rainy day - you know, raindrops, smell of wet earth, twittering birds, and thunder-rolling sky, I love that also!
3. What is one food you couldn’t live without?
Fruits and salad, I suppose :). 
Also, I feel sad at the idea of living without some ice-cream in my life. 
4. Give three words that describe you.
Jolly. Intuitive. Creative. 
5. What would you do if you had a free hour and could do anything you wanted to?
Read my Bible! I always wish I spent more time doing that! 

But there are so many things I'd want to do, haha! I'd probably want to write a blog-post and browse my blogger feed, and write a letter or email to a friend. I'd then pick up a nice novel and read, work on writing or editing more in my story, play a piece on my violin or do some crafty/art thing like colouring or drawing. . . I also don't mind cooking :).

If it was a free hour in the company of family or friends, I'd watch a movie with them, play a board-game, or a have a fun picnic at the bay :).
6. What is your favorite book-to-movie adaption?
I actually have a few :). The Lord of the Rings trilogy is my all time favourite set of films please don't argue!! And as unpopular as it sounds The Hobbit trilogy is an immense favourite of mine as well - so good. Some other favourite film adaptions would be "Ben Hur", "The Scarlet Pimpernel" and "Pollyanna". Funny enough - I prefer those three films over the original novels, good as they all are. "North and South" BBC 2004, "Sherlock Holmes" Granada adaption with Jeremy Brett, "Emma" BBC 2007 and "Sense and Sensibility" 2008 are my favourite TV series book-to-screen adaptations. . . 
7. If there was one location from a book you could go to, where would it be?
Well Middle-Earth and Narnia aside (it's a given, folks!), I would love to visit the New Forest district of England (Margaret Hale's Helstone), and the Lake District for Beatrix Potter's stories :). . . basically anywhere in England or Europe, please!
8. If you could meet one character from a book, who would it be?
To meet Frodo Baggins or Samwise Gamgee and Gandalf the Grey would be so amazing :). But Pollyanna and I'd be best friends!
9. If you could ask one author of the past a question, who would it be? What would you ask?
I am not sure, there are so many. I'd love to have met with J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. G. K. Chesterton, Elizabeth Gaskell, Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, Rosemary Sutcliff, Elizabeth Goudge, and Patricia St. John would have been other favourite choices. I don't know what I'd ask them though!
 10. If you could change one event you didn’t like in a book, what would it be?
I have a mental blank, but when I think of something, I'll come back to you maybe ;).

Comments

  1. Ooh, I like all your answers :)

    I prefer rainy days, but I agree wholeheartedly with your book-to-movie adaptation choices! :) I'd also add Bridge to Terabithia... loved the way that movie turned out. And the Neverending Story (yes, cheesy, I know... but still... it's dear to my heart, and the movie is way better than the book). Also The Princess Bride. Can't decide between the book and the movie... oh, and Jurassic Park. Yay! :) There are lots of book/movie/tv show adaptations that turn out quite well, often they don't get the credit they deserve.

    I would ask any one of those authors what kept them going when they felt discouraged about their authoring. Because it'd be nice to know the answer... and it would also be encouraging to know that perhaps they had "off" days in their writing careers as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your answers to this tag, Joy! I highly approve of your choice of hot chocolate. I also prefer sunshine-y days because some rainy days tend to be really gloomy. Yes, I love the movie adaptations of The Hobbit. A lot of people seem to not like adaptations of classics because of all the differences in the book and the movie, which kind of makes me feel less literary if you know what I mean, but I tend to enjoy them a lot. Ooh, those are some great authors. I would probably ask about their advice for writers and for authors like Tolkien and Lewis I would ask specifically about their advice for balancing gospel and story in writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your sweet comment, Jenelle! :)

    Rainy days at home can be some of the best indeed ^_^. . . I just love me some cool sunshine, and blue sky! :D
    Some of the film adaptions you've mentioned are unfamiliar to me, but I will have to look them up! I've especially heard so much about "The Princess Bride" I feel like I am missing out on a lot. . . ;). Ah, yes, that's so true! People (literary critics and the lay-viewers) do often tend to be ready to negatively critic book-to-film adaptions almost before they've even seen the films, which I think is rather sad :P. There are some really good ones out there! ^_^

    That's a great question to ask! I'd definitely ask that of any of my favourite authors if I could. Yes, sometimes one feels all alone in those moments of struggle as writers. It is so inspiring when one reads the authors one loves and admires share how they faced discouragement, rejection, disappointment and struggles in their writing careers.

    God bless and all the best with your writing these days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ana, thank you for your lovely note! It brightened my day to read it :D. *grins* Yes, sunshine-y days just always fill me with so much joy and happiness. It is really hard to be gloomy and glum when the sun is shining and the sky is a vivid blue and the air is fresh with praise and birdsong!! Rainy days can be beautiful and mystical too - I just get much more easily melancholic and thoughtful ;).

    I am glad you're a fellow lover of the Hobbit adaptions. As Jenelle said too, we seem to be a rare-quiet breed who love both the books and the films! Hmm, that is true, though I also think film adaptions of classics are very often considered of great worth and importance in literary circles and even in university English classes when analysing interpretations to the literary texts of those classics. No shame in enjoying a good classic movie! In fact I often watch a classic film before digging into the book so I can have a better idea of the plot/characters of the story in general so I can pay more attention to the details and nuanced emotions of the book that I might have missed otherwise in my desire to "know what happens next"!

    That's a wonderful question, Ana, and it would have been amazing to ask Tolkien or Lewis such a thing. I think we can start getting a glimpse of their thoughts on that at least through their own writings and letters though which they left us. That's a rare gem!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

"Gracious words are like a honeycomb; sweetness to the soul and health to the body..." ~Proverbs 16:24