Beautiful People- Flavius Apicius
As I am in "literary" mood right now I thought I might join in the "Beautiful People" interview hosted by Sky and Georgie Penn. It is basically an interview you do with your characters to get to know them more. So, here I go.... this time I'm going to use the interview for the character of Flavius Apicius. Enjoy!
It was a beautiful stallion. Silky brown, its muscles rippled with every movement, its lustrous black mane flowed down richly and thickly. Flavius stroked its silky neck, and lifted an eye up to his friend over the horse' head. “Beautiful. Have you given him a name yet?” --The Crown of Life
1. If your character could be played by any actor, who would it be?
As seen in the picture to your right, I think the closest would be Richard Armitage (even though I've yet to see a movie he acts in). I think that it is his eyes that capture Flavius' character the most...
2. Does your character have a specific theme song? no, I don't know many songs that would suite his life or character... :p
3. What’s their worst childhood memory? the murder of his father. Seeing his father killed in front of his very eyes was very traumatic for him. Even though he was but six years of age he remembers it vividly and it haunts him as a grown man.
4. If your character had a superpower, what would it be? I'm not 100% sure what a superpower is, but I think it would be, in regard to Flavius, the will to rise in his position and better himself, also it would be his natural charisma and slyness.
5. If your character crashed on an island with a bunch of other people, how would your character help the group survive? He'd probably take the lead in trying to help them (and himself!) get out of the island at all costs, despite his initial reluctance to bother about the 'bunch of other people'. If left to himself, he'd try fleeing the island alone, but his honour would not abide this.
6. Are they married? If not, do they someday wish to be? at the start of the novel, Flavius is betrothed to Anthea, but his fiancee is rather young and immature and Flavius' main focus is to get a seat in Rome and avenge his father's death. However, as time and circumstances change he slowly becomes grows more fond of Anthea and starts thinking seriously of marriage after all.
7. What is a cause they would die for? he'd die if he knew his father's death was avenged, or if his family name was greatly honoured at death, but death is not an option for him, and he defies the very thought of dying unless it is to kill his enemy through his own death
8. Would they rather die fighting valiantly, or quietly at home? as I said above, he'd rather not die at all! But if he was to die, he'd rather die fighting valiantly
9. If someone walked up to them and told them they were the child of the prophecy, would they believe them? he'd definitely not take the 'someone' seriously at first, taking him to be some sort of conjuring magician or a doodling old priest. But if he knew that the child of the prophecy would become emperor, and he was that 'child', in that case he'd very much wish to believe it, even if his common sense told him it is ludicrous.
10. Do they prefer the country or the city? I'd say the city since it is usually in harmony with his moods. Flavius can't stand the quiet of the country, and it's peacefulness agitates him.
Since I've not done a Beautiful People before, I've taken the liberty of adding here some extra questions from previous "Beautiful People". I hope this isn't going against the rules!
If they are falsely accused of murder, what would they do? How would they react?
He'd protest his innocence most violently, and react with anger and hatred to the one who accused him falsely.
Are they happy with where they are in life, or would they like to move on?
I don't think he is happy where is in life at all! In a way he'd like to move on, or rather move backward to the past "upward in status". Hope that makes sense.
Are they Christian, or will they eventually find Jesus?
at the beginning of the story, it is definitely a "no" answer to the first part of the question. As to later on if he will eventually come to Christ, since it will give away a plot in the story, I can't give you the answer now (sorry!).
How old are they? aprox. 23 at start, by the end 29.
Do they have any siblings? How many? Where do they fit in? Flavius is the only son of his father. But he has a step-brother, Sergius Apicius, his junior by six years. And might I add, they utterly abhor one another!
What is their biggest secret? It is a big, and dangerous secret, but one I can't say.
Have they ever been in love? yes, to Anthea... but it is a flimsy and passionate kind of love, not a long-abiding one.
Right or left handed? haven't thought about this one before... I guess he's right handed :)
Does he think inside himself more than he talks out loud to his friends? (more importantly, does he actually have friends?) Flavius has many friends, one of whom is Valerius, who he used to consider (especially in his childhood) closer than a brother. However, Flavius doesn't speak his thoughts very often out loud to anyone, especially his friends with whom he usually puts on a mask of charm and perfection. But it is to hide deep inner struggles and bitterness. Eventually, his continual inner turmoil causes him to slowly loose connection with most of his friends.