Inspiration from LOTR


During the summer holidays, my sisters and I (and eventually Mum and Dad!) watched The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy. And, we all really, really loved it to the point that it has joined our list of favourite movies (something I didn't really expect, but I am glad of!). As a family, we're very cautious about the kind of movies we watch and so we just didn't rush into this series, without thought. But after looking into it, and discovering a bit more about it, our whole family watched it (with the exception of course of little Gracie), and have been very much blessed, inspired and challenged through watching them. (I am hoping to write my full thoughts on the three films in a review on Fullness of Joy sometime by the way =D.) Anyhow, I just wanted to share with you  two scenes (out of many) that inspired me and the whole family so much while we were watching the films. I hope you enjoy them and are blessed too!

The first scene here, is in the end of The Two Towers. Frodo and Sam were captured by Faramir who took them to the city of Osgiliath. In Helms Deep, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and Gandalf were fighting in a great battle, and Merry and Pippin were with Treebeard in Isengard in their own battle against the evil of Saurman. Meanwhile, in Osgiliath, the Nazguls attack and Frodo finds the burden of the Ring to much to bear: (P.S. there isn't anything really scary in this scene... except Gollum, who is in the background, and he is more ugly than scary =D).
Frodo: "I can't do this, Sam."
Sam: "I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.
Frodo: "What are we holding unto, Sam?"
Sam: "That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for!"



This second scene is from the third The Lord of the Rings movies, The Return of the King. The allies of Gondor and Rohan, who are greatly outnumbered see as Mordor's legions gather before them. Their courage weakens, as they face what appears to be sure defeat. Aragorn, the heir of Gondor, rides along the front lines of the army, and seeks to inspire them to fight and not fear: (P.S. there are no scary scenes in this scene)
Aragorn: Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!"

Comments

  1. Both of those are some of my favorite scenes from LotR. :) I look forward to seeing your reviews of the movies!

    ~Keaghan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you love those scenes, Keaghan! I too look forward to sharing a review... sometime (when I have the time!).

    In His love,
    ~Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Joy, these are some of my favourite scenes. I, too, look forward to your reviews.
    God bless,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

"Gracious words are like a honeycomb; sweetness to the soul and health to the body..." ~Proverbs 16:24